So I am really really not good at food photography. I gotta work on taking these pics near a window or something. But, truly, this recipe did turn out very yellow due to the turmeric. This recipe is tasty and healthy. It could be a meal on it’s own, but would be great with something simple like a rotisserie chicken.
- olive oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 3 cups broth (chicken or veggie)
- 1.5 cups of dried, rinsed quinoa
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste (This makes a pretty good portion of food, so I found it needed a good bit of both.)
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté. When it says “hot,” add your chopped veggies and garlic. Let them sauté for 3-4 minutes. You do not put the lid on when sautéing. You can quickly rinse your quinoa while the veggies are sautéing.
- After veggies are a bit tender, stir in broth, quinoa and turmeric. Watch for little pieces of quinoa on the side of the pot. Use a spoon to push them all down into the liquid.
- Set to cook on “rice” for 8 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper or any herbs or seasonings of your choice to taste. This can be a bit bland, but salt, pepper or even a seasoning mix like Mrs. Dash can take it a long way.
At this point, it is done and you can turn off the pressure cooker! But as I was eating it, I realized that peas would be a great addition and would force my kids to get another vegetable. So I heated up a microwave steam bag of frozen peas and poured about 2/3 of the bag into the pot with the pilaf. I really enjoyed that! So, there’s another option!
I hope you enjoy this tasty, healthy meal or side!