Yesterday I subbed at my girls’ preschool. Then we had errands to run. Then we had a doctor’s appointment. When we finally pulled in our garage at 6 PM there were hungry dogs to feed, a diaper to deal with, back packs and lunch boxes to clean, and dinner to be made. Also one of my dogs ate half of a pumpkin so there were dried pumpkin bits all over the floor.? I really didn’t even know what to deal with first.
I ignored everything else and spent about 6 minutes putting this dinner in the Instant Pot . While it was cooking I had time to take care of everything else. This recipe is so quick to assemble, but it tastes really good. It is one of my favorite pressure cooker meals.
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil to coat bottom of the pan
- 1.25 lbs of beef stew meat (You could use more or less and adjust easily)
- one chopped onion
- 1 splash of red wine
- 2/3 cup beef broth
- a few dashes of garlic powder or chopped garlic
- dash of seasoned salt (optional)
- black pepper
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup of beef broth for corn starch slurry
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté and let heat.
- Chop onion.
- When the Instant Pot says “hot” add oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add beef and brown for 3-4 minutes. (Do not put on lid when using Sauté.)
- After the meat has a bit of color add onion, wine, broth, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and pepper.
- Set on “Meat/Stew”for 20 minutes.
- Stir together corn starch with additional broth to make a slurry.
- After the cooking is done, depressurize and remove lid. Turn on Sauté and add the broth/corn starch slurry. Cook for 1-2 more minutes until the sauce thickens. Salt and pepper to taste.
You should have a good bit of sauce to serve over broccoli, rice, egg noodles, etc. We were in a hurry so we microwaved a rice packet and a bag of broccoli. SO good!