There are many takes on “salsa chicken” out there. Basically in the Instant Pot you can put any salsa over chicken, cook for 15-20 minutes and you’re done: You’ve got great chicken to throw into a tortilla or on top of a salad.
However, if you don’t mind doing a little extra chopping, you can make your salsa chicken extra tasty. I like to do my chopping and throw this together at nap time, and by dinner it is done. (But you can also cook it quickly if you need that option.) This makes a ton, so I always freeze some of it.
- 3.5-4 lbs of chicken breasts
- 2 finely chopped poblano peppers
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 can chopped green chills (I used mild.)
- 1 jar of green salsa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- Mix peppers, onions, salsa and seasonings in the bottom of instant pot.
- Add chicken breasts and stir to coat.
- Seal and cook on “slow cooker” for 3 hours OR “poultry” for 22 minutes. It will be delicious if you pressure cook for the 22 minutes, but I definitely think it shreds a little more quickly if left for 3-4 hours. Totally up to you.
- Drain the chicken out with a slotted spoon and shred!
It makes a lot of savory broth which is great for coating the chicken or saving for a soup!
The chicken itself is Whole30 approved if you check the labels on your green salsa…Where you take it from there is up to you…
For Whole30 you can…
- Put it on a salad/make a lettuce wrap.
- Stuff it in an avocado and top with fresh tomatoes and cilantro.
- Eat it over roasted potatoes or grilled sweet potatoes.
If you’re not Whole30 you can…
- Eat it on a tortilla with some cheese and fresh tomatoes.
- Make quesadillas.
- Eat it over rice.
- Make taquitos out of it by wrapping it in corn tortillas and baking.
- Eat it on a pun with pepper jack cheese and avocado!