My friend Kylie is a giver, a servant, and an amazing wife and mom. She also makes the best white chicken chili I’ve ever had. If you’re lucky enough to live near her, chances are she’s brought you some of this chili at some point. She’s made this recipe for my family during some of our best and worst days over the past several years.
(Kylie on the right. :-))
She gave me the recipe a couple years ago. While I’m not sure I’ll ever make it as well as she does, I have adapted it into an amazing Instant Pot recipe. It is super easy and quick. You throw it all in the pot, set it, and walk away for 30 minutes. Come back. Shred the chicken, add some cream and you’re done.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts (a little more or less won’t hurt!)
- 1 finely diced onion
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 2 cans Great Northern Beans
- 2 small cans mild green chilis
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic OR 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 oz sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste, I found that it needed a good teaspoon of salt and then a bit more. 😉
- Chop your vegetables. Place all ingredients into the pot except the whipping cream and sour cream.
- Close pot, seal and set for 16 minutes. (It could be finished a couple minutes faster than this, but I think this amount of time makes the chicken more shreddable and allows the vegetables to get really tender.) Because the pot is very full, it will take the pot 10-15 minutes to heat up + the 16 minutes to cook.
- When the time is up, depressurize and remove lid.
- Shred chicken and stir in whipping cream and sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with shredded cheese, chips, avocado, etc. (I like some of those finely diced pickled jalapeños on top!!)
This recipe is actually really tasty without the whipping cream and sour cream if you’re doing Whole30 or dairy free. Just add plenty of avocado to it and it could be a great lighter meal.
Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipe with us, Kylie!!!