I love soup as a vehicle for eating crackers, chips or other carbs, but I am trying to be better about that. This soup is so filling and tasty that it hardly needs any extra items for dipping, etc. It’s delicious on its own or with some fresh avocado on top. Its savory and full of vegetables.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2-3 finely diced jalapeños (seeds and membranes removed)
- 2 zucchinis, diced into bite sized pieces.
- 2 cups of shredded carrots (I used pre-shredded.)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes and green chills (rotel)
- 1 can of drained black beans
- 32 oz carton chicken broth
- 2 heaping tablespoons of chopped garlic
- 2/3 of a small can of tomato paste (about 3-4 tablespoons)
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: squeeze of lime
- Stir together all ingredients in the Instant Pot.
- Put on lid and seal. Set on “Poultry” (15 minutes) and cook. (It will take about 15 minutes for the pot to heat.)
- Depressurize, remove lid. Remove chicken and dice or shred. Add chicken back to the soup. Stir and serve.
*I think this soup is great alone or with fresh avocado. But, depending on your tastes, you may like it with sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips or some warm tortillas.